Offshore Cruising Club

Boat History

The OCC is built around Overlord, a magnificent 10-berth, 58 foot Bermudan sloop built in 1936 by Abeking & Rasmussen of Lemverder for the Luftwaffe.

She was part of a fleet of 100 sq.metre, 50 sq.metre and 30 sq.metre yachts used at Lemverder for Officer training and in particular, for training Luftwaffe navigators.

In 1945, Pelikan, as Overlord was then named, plus many more yachts in the fleet were taken as prizes of war at Kiel and later included in the reparations agreement. Many of the yachts were distributed amongst the British Services and Pelikan, was used by The Sappers at Chatham who re-named her Overlord.

Between 1946 and 1955 she had a distinguished RORC record with the Sapper Yacht Club.

In 1961 she was bought by Tony Venables, a 33 year old retired Army Officer who had been her skipper whilst serving in the Royal Army Service Corps. Tony, who was planning to sell her after two years, to recoup his capital and the running costs, was persuaded to retain her and formed the Overlord Sailing Club, now the Offshore Cruising Club.

Even though we now have over 200 members we still consider ourselves a group of friends and Tony is now the Admiral of the club.

"The Windfall Yachts - A Legacy of Goodwill" is an excellent book written by Michael Cudmore about these magnificent yachts and is part history, part reference and part anthology. It is a product of years of research and is an essential new addition to our national maritime history. A theme throughout is the enormous amount of goodwill that the Windfalls have generated, between people and nations. To order a copy of the book, click here

A sister yacht, Sea Scamp, is a three quarter-rigged Bermudan sloop, built to the 50 square metre class rules. Details of Sea Scamp can be found here.